TELL US YOUR STORY!
Every Rotary member has a story. It’s probably the reason you joined Rotary, or at least why you stayed.
We started this blog to give people like you a place to share your story. And by doing so, you help us increase the public’s understanding of what we stand for and the impact we make. We also welcome posts from anyone who has worked with us or taken part in one of our programs.
Send your story as a word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Along with your post, please submit any photos (at least 960 x 440 pixels, with captions included) or videos you would like to embed. Please ensure you have the rights to use submitted photos.
Blog posts should meet the following requirements:
1) Keep it short. Posts should be 300 to 700 words and be about one topic or idea.
2) Posts should be written for a wide audience and avoid jargon or technical language. Write like you speak using conversational language to explain things clearly, and include specific examples to illustrate a point.
3) Write in the first person “I’ voice and include personal observations and impressions. The best posts tell a story, that will inspire other people to want to know more about Rotary.
4) Write for an online audience. Online attention spans are short, and readers scan a page more than they read word-by-word. Keeping that in mind, employ scannable tactics such as:
- Short paragraphs (one idea a paragraph)
- Short sentences
- Highlighted keywords
- Bulleted lists
5) Be direct. Most blog readers decide if an entry is worth reading in just a few seconds. State your main point in the beginning of your post and include supporting information in subsequent paragraphs.
6) Include links to other sites, blogs, partner organizations.
7) Consider incorporating mulitmedia features including embedded videos, images, and infographics to provide compelling and easily digestible content for readers. The shorter the video, the more likely people will watch it through to the end. Include photos that show people taking action and get close.
8) Encourage reader interaction by providing a clear call to action, such as asking readers to post their thoughts in the comments section or to share the piece on social media with their networks.
Blog posts may be edited for clarity and brevity. While we encourage posts, we unfortunately can’t publish every submission we receive. But following these guidelines will improve your chances considerably.